For people ages 65 and older, 35.2% had a disability. In 2016, of the US population with disabilities, over half (51.0%) were people in the working- ages of 18- 64, while 41.4% were 65 and older.
More than 46 per cent of older persons – those aged 60 years and over—have disabilities and more than 250 million older people experience moderate to severe disability.
61 million adults in the United States live with a disability. 26 percent (one in 4) of adults in the United States have some type of disability.
DISABILITY PREVALENCE Approximately 56.7 million people living in the United States had some kind of disability in 2010 (Table 1). This accounted for 18.7 percent of the 303.9 million people in the civilian noninstitutionalized population that year.
As per the Census 2011, In India out of the 121 Cr population, 2.68 Cr persons are ‘disabled’ which is 2.21% of the total population. persons in rural areas and 0.81 Cr in urban areas). In the case of total population also, 69% are from rural areas while the remaining 31% resided in urban areas.
Other disability statistics The likelihood of living with disability increases with age; one quarter (26.9%) of people aged 60-64 years are living with disability. Over eight in ten people aged 90 and over (84.6%) have a disability. 17.1% of people with disability use mobility aids.
With age, disability becomes more common, affecting about 2 in 5 adults age 65 and older.
Disabled people make up 10% of the population, around 650 million people (Source: World Health Organisation).
Definition. In an attempt to capture a variety of characteristics that encompass the definition of disability, the ACS identifies serious difficulty with four basic areas of functioning – hearing, vision, cognition, and ambulation.
Invisible disability statistics About 25% of U.S. adults have a disability, and most invisible disability metrics in the U.S. say that roughly as high as 20% (or more) of Americans have an invisible disability.
A census is a study of every unit, everyone or everything, in a population. It is known as a complete enumeration, which means a complete count.
The disability rate (number of disabled per 100,000 populations) for the country as whole works out to 2130. This is 2,369in the case of males and 1,874 in the case of females. Among the five types of disabilities on which data has been collected, disability In seeing at 48.5% emerges as the top category.
According to the 2011 census, 65.9% of the total population is literate.