walking lots of dogsQuestion marke 2Some of the questions most frequently asked by older adults and their families when they are considering a life transition….

How do I learn about programs designed for senior citizens? The Aging and Disability Resource Connection of Oregon   https://adrcoforegon.org  is an online guide to programs and services offered in Oregon.  It is not intended to be an exhaustive list. In addition, there are many programs and services offered to senior citizens at a discount, or without charge, by professional associations and by the private sector. One example of this kind of information is:  http://www.answersforelders.com/decision-guide

I want to know what’s available in southern Oregon. Medford Senior Services in Jackson County partners with the Rogue Valley Council of Governments (RVCOG) Senior and Disability Services www.rvcog.org  to provide information, assistance and referral. The Senior Services office is located at 2860 State Street, Medford, OR 97504 (541) 776-6222 (541) 776-6222.  Information and assistance available includes the following:

  • Adult Residential Facility Complaints, Adult Respite Care ,Adult State/Local Health Insurance Programs, Benefits Screening, Caregiver Training, Case/Care Management, Foster Home Placement, Long Term Care Insurance, Medicaid, Residential Placement Services for People With Disabilities, Senior Housing Information and Referral, Caregiver Support and Dementia Support programs, Meals on Wheels (Food &  Friends), Accessible Home Information and Certification

The Josephine County Senior Services office offers similar information and programs. 2166 NW Vine Street, Suite J, Grants Pass, 97526, (541)474-3110 (541)474-3110.

Where can I find information regarding Social Security? The Social Security website http://ssa.gov/ has comprehensive information about social security benefits. The local social security office is at 3501 Excel Drive, Medford 97504. To make an appointment, call 1-800-325-0778 1-800-325-0778 FREE. Office hours:  9am-3pm Monday-Friday.

How do I contact Medicare? Complete information can be found on the Medicare website http://www.medicare.gov/   Information on coverage of prescription drugs (Part D of Medicare) is included. No-cost counseling on Medicare choices, is available by contacting the State Insurance Benefits Program (SHIBA) www.oregon.gov/DCBS/SHIBA  1-800-722-4134 1-800-722-4134 FREE

What is an Aging Life Care Manager? How do I locate one? Professional aging life care management is a client-centered approach to caring for older adults or others facing ongoing health challenges.  Working with families, aging life care manager expertise provides the answers at a time of uncertainty. Their guidance leads families to the actions and decisions that ensure quality care and an optimal life for those they love, thus reducing worry, stress and time off of work for family caregivers through:

  • Assessment and monitoring
  • Planning and problem-solving
  • Education and advocacy
  • Family caregiver coaching

Locate the professional Aging Life Care Manager in your area at http://www.aginglifecare.org/